Hungry For God

Sunday, February 26, 2006

This Sucks, God. What Are You Doing?

I used to live in a pretty big city, where I saw a lot of things I probably shouldn't have seen, and experienced lonely, hurting people participating in desperate and harmful acts, searching for what would make them whole, far far away from the design God intended, far frmo the beauty that they are to behold....now I live in a small town and instead of searching, those who hurt here have given up or have chosen to cover it up by appearing to do what they "should" according to small town rules.

It seems so strange to me that one of the first questions we are asked when we meet new people is, "Have you found a church?." Yet, even in the physical church buildings we've been in, there is no evidence of the "church" at all...

We didn't even pray in the service we went to today, and I was basically ushered out into the nursery with Mayah. She wasn't even crying.

I am so discouraged. I have never been anywhere more spiritually dead in all of my life...even the fakey church I grew up in was more alive than the zombies we see zoning out in the dead services that teach against sin over and over and over. What poor horrible people we are. DON'T DO THIS AND DON'T DO THAT OR YOU'LL GO TO HELL. REPENT! HE'S COMING!
Would they blanch at the thought that they are Jesus's favorite one? That His desire is for them to come to Him and experience real life? Or at least to hunger for it...Here, people are expected to go to church and they go, for no other reason.

What causes such boredom in the spirit? What did these preachers start off like? How did they get to a place of monotone recitation of some song in some hymnal...was there never any excitement? Is it all they want, to have a few people fall asleep in their pews? Oh, heavens if the spirit did show up, we'd all probably have a heart attach or be accused of really being drunk as the apostles were. Was there ever a vision of being that kind of church?

Oh, Father, where did you bring us? What is this ghost town? Have you ever been here?

I have this horrible fear that I will become just as dead, just as bored, and just as judgemental if I become involved...I know that already sounds hypocritical, but I have cried at each service I've attended, wondering where on earth are we going to be fed, are there any people our age who share our interests or values? Why did God bring us here?

I seriously feel like I've stepped into the twighlight zone, like it's some huge black hole that swallowed up any hope for a future for this place...I had no idea that places like this actually exhisted on earth...how naive of me to think that with the progress of today, there would not be some left behind or some who chose to stay. Not that these people are any less...but there is such a sadness, a hopelessness...it seems they've just given up...there isn't really anything good anymore. I wonder why...it's as if they've been forgotten and so, they've forgotten themselves.

It sucks.

6 Comments:

  • At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    As I read this post, it just reminds me of an old Keith Green song (did you ever listen to him?) The name of the song is "Asleep in the Light." I don't remember all of the lyrics, but the gist is that the church knows the Truth, but have become apathetic to Him. But it seems the Holy Spirit in you is fighting against this. I know we are all continuing to pray for you guys!

    Anna

     
  • At 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sounds like that town needs an sprit filled, 'on fire for the Lord,' breathe some Kingdom life into you kinda house church...

    Nudge.

    Nudge.

     
  • At 12:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i absolutely second nick's opinion. i am recently venturing out on this sort of adventure myself. i decided to stop looking for the church i want and start being the church i want. it has been very liberating.

    as you said,
    "...but there is such a sadness, a hopelessness...it seems they've just given up...there isn't really anything good anymore. I wonder why...it's as if they've been forgotten and so, they've forgotten themselves."

    i would say the answer to your prayer is already looking you in the face every day in the mirror. well. the face when it is fueled by the spirit. by the power and life of god. to be willing to answer the call to stand up and say to the principalities and the powers and say with a loud, clear voice, "LET MY PEOPLE GO!"

    i do not think it coincidence that i stumbled across your blog tonight, sister. you will be added to my intercessions. i am curious to hear of how things shape up. please keep us posted.


    ebpmzbc

     
  • At 12:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh, by the way, jen and nick... it's good to see you both again.

    i didn't want you guys to think that i just walked in the door and didn't notice you both standing there. there's cookies if you want some.


    vdhuxsg

     
  • At 4:12 PM, Blogger KariBryant said…

    So, Jon, have you actuallys tarted a house church? If so...can you share how and ...just how?

     
  • At 7:16 PM, Blogger Melody said…

    "You are My beloved. I will not leave you."

    Things are hard moving. I felt the same way when I first moved here, before finding bluer. The churches I visited scared me. The actions seemed good, but as I looked around at the faces in the service I felt a sick sinking feeling.

    He has you there for a reason, I pray for peace of mind and trust in what He has for you. Lean in closer, maybe He'll whisper it in your ear.

    Love and miss you!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home