Hungry For God

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

For Crying Out LOUD!

I call people all day long. Granted, these people call me first, but I DO call them back, and often times call the same people more than once. So...I am always polite when I get a solicitor on the phone - calling my house, even though we are on the "do not call list," because I know that this is a job that someone is doing, and I know how it makes you feel when someone is rude to you - someone who doesn't even know you.

Luke sometimes gets upset because I am such a sucker when it comes to helping out a good cause over the phone. One example of this: The fire department. A young lady called me and asked me if I wanted to help support our local fire department by subscribing to a magazine or something of that nature. The proceeds were supposed to go to something like the families of firemen killed in action, and better safer equipment. So, OF COURSE! I'll help out! I subscribed to this magazine, and was feeling really good about myself until I saw the news THE VERY NEXT DAY about the scam going on over the phone - solicitors asking for donations for the local fire departments! Luke laughed so hard! My point is, I really try to be nice on the phone - you never know what kind of day the person on the other line has had.

BUT FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!! I've been home since about 5:30 - it's about 9pm now, and I've received 9, YES 9, phone calls from solicitors in that time period!!!!! If that's not enough, when I've said, "You should have heard a recording when you dialed our number that said we do not accept calls from solicitors, would you please take us off of your call list," every person wanted to go through a 10 minute shpeel of the process to take us off of their call list and the numbers to call if I change my mind or have any questions, so by the time I finally get off of the phone, I am frustrated, and it would have taken a lot less time to say,"I'm not interested," and hang up (is that like the 3rd longest sentence ever?).

It's not enough that we are bombarded with junk mail from credit card companies and loan officers and magazine offerers, and the neighborhood newspaper sellers, and politicians, and whatever else under the sun. Seriously, Luke and I decided to let all of the junk mail pile up on our front deck, and after 2 weeks, our 3 arm chairs were completely full and covered with paper - how many trees is that? It's hard enough in America to get away from the constant bombardment of TV, EMAIL, radio, shopping, fast food, jobs, housekeeping, reading, taxes, bills, home decorating...we are consumed with distraction so much that we are not comfortable just "being." It's so foreign. NO WONDER! When we have 10 minutes to ourselves, we are attacked by credit card companies who have stolen our home phone numbers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home