Hungry For God

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

New Church Adventures

Our church decided to begin a new service on Saturday nights in order to reach the younger genration in our town...We are really excited because there is NOTHING here even remotely modern, and when we were looking for a church, we did not find one that we felt connected to, one that we could go to and really worship and feel accepted and be excited about. What they want to do reminds me of Bluer, our beloved Vineyard/Emergent church in Minneapolis. They are planning on having an actual coffee shop after the service, and they want to decorate with art, old couches, coffee tables, lamps, candles, etc... Interestingly, they've asked me to SING in the worship band!!! This is interesting because I don't sing. I have never really sang in front of people other than when I was little in Christmas programs, and I have never had a desire to do so...I mean, I can carry a tune, but it's just not something people would prefer to listen to!!! I'm going to give it a try. I've gone to the first "band practice," and it was a little bit intimidating...I just stood there, still, nervous, in front of this microphone...trying to sing. And then it came, I could sing, but I still couldn't move. I am concerned. I have a problem, an historic problem with performance, and I dont want to be more nervous-more concerned about what I look like to the audience/church, than about what I am actually doing, which is worshipping my King...and I LOVE worship. We'll see how this goes. I am excited about the new service though...I know that the young people in this town need a place they can go on the weekends - right now they hang out at the grocery store. Or doing drugs at someone's house. Seriously! I hope that this is REAL, not a staged effort, but REALLY extending the heart, the love of Jesus to those who so desperately need Him, like me.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:53 PM, Blogger Amy said…

    Kari, this is so exciting! I know how intimidating this can be. I pray that your love for worshiping God will be contagious and that your heart for the Lord will be an example to everyone who walks into these services.

    Along with Jen, I can't wait to hear more!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home