Hungry For God

Saturday, October 06, 2007

I became so angry with my daughter today...I acted quite poorly. I lost it, I yelled at her...she's not even 2 years old! I haven't been this mad in a long time. I was still mad at her when I had to wrestle her down for a nap...when I finally had a moment to calm down, I realized that I really need to apologize to her, and tell her that I was wrong. I felt so terrible...but there was something in me that didn't want to admit I was wrong. She was the one who was being a brat!! I just kept asking God to not let my heart get hard, and to cause me to be humble. I began to think of a couple I love very much, who seem to have lived their marriage in the passive aggressive relationship that I fear. As I was thinking about Mayah and how I behaved, I realized how fast after defeat or disappointment, anger comes in...and how fast pride follows anger. Maybe it's because we don't want to forgive ourselves or others, and it's hard to admit we have behaved or thought wrongly...so we don't go there, and instead we start stacking up bricks. Every time we choose to not relent in our pride - even if it seems justified - we lengthen the gap between our hearts. Maybe it's because satan doesn't hesitate to pile on the shame, causing us to feel dirty and ugly. So, we must hide our filth and pretend it's not there...developing a passive aggressive pattern. It seems to be a much easier lifestyle for so many people, especially after letting years and years of denial and pride build up as the result of our wounds. Maybe we think that if we remove 1 brick, the whole wall will collapse, and we'll be exposed for the weak humans that we are. What will we do with the mess? Who will love us then? I think in reality, weakness is easier to love than the tough passive aggressive...maybe that is the point also?

9 Comments:

  • At 9:00 PM, Blogger Nate said…

    Thanks for this, it spoke to me today.

     
  • At 12:10 PM, Blogger One Voice of Many said…

    Oh how many times I've flown off on my little three!
    I enjoyed reading your thoughts.

    Michelle

     
  • At 2:28 PM, Blogger Rick said…

    My wife and I remember having those same kind of times with our oldest daughter. Even before she was two she would throw a fit about what to wear to church. What does a one year old know about what to wear to church?

    That girl has always had strong opinions and sometimes the discussion would escalate to yelling. It wasn't until she was in high school that I final realized that my yelling did NOTHING to help the situation. It was hard, because she didn't have the same revalation and would still resort to yelling - and more.

    She's still a girl with a strong will, but things are MUCH better now.

    If I had to do it over again, I think that I would walk away a lot more and just let her throw her fit on her own. We love the girl, but she has kept us on our knees.

    http://organizeddoodles.blogspot.com/

     
  • At 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Quite a challenge for me also. My wife bugged me for a few years to talk to a psychologist, and I finally did a few months back. It helped to take the time to understand what I am going through at the time, and want I am so sensitive about.

    I know that I need to take a breath and think first, but sometimes it's such a challenge.

     
  • At 11:51 PM, Blogger Nate said…

    Just letting you know that there is someone still checking on you.

     
  • At 7:42 PM, Blogger Nate said…

    Merry Christmas.

     
  • At 7:37 AM, Blogger Jim Braman said…

    Dear Hungryforgod:

    I googled up my own website and found this blogsite!!

    I see you too are as hungry as can be ...hungry for a life of love that was once ours in the Garden of perfection before the fall. Now we hunger for life to the full which is given to us in moments of worship and intimate connection with the source of perfect love and initimacy: Jesus the Beautiful! I praise you, my Father, for this child of your love in Nebraska ...let her soul be filled to all the measure of your fullness ...as richly as it can be in this empty world of pain.
    I grieve with her the falleness of our eternal design within ...the design you gave us to be perfectly connected to your heart all day long. I rejoice with her as well ...in the beauty of each moment you DO give us to be one with you!

    Jesus beautiful love be your and all whom he has given you my sister ...and my God bless your husband with the strength of heart that only he can have for you!

    Your hungry brother in Christ -

    Jim Braman

    www.hungryforgod.net

    (PS - pray for me to finish well in the writing of my book ...it is on my website under 'The Great Romance')

     
  • At 7:34 PM, Blogger Nate said…

    Merry Christmas, and a Happy new year.

     
  • At 8:25 PM, Blogger Nate said…

    My father died Saturday.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home