Hungry For God

Friday, March 14, 2008

Just received "messy spirituality" by yaconelli...thank you vicki!

For me, it is a little harder to read than "So you don't want to go to church anymore?" but it is really good so far. Thought I would share a quote that I have kept going back to...one that I really like:

"One of my favorite Peanuts cartoons starts with Lucy at her five-cent psychology booth, where Charlie Brown has stopped for advice about life.

'Life is like a deck chair, Charlie,' she says. 'On the cruise ship of life, some people place their deck chair at the rear of the ship so they can see where they've been. Others place their deck chair at the front of the ship so they can see where they're going.'

The good "doctor" looks at her puzzled client and asks, 'Which way is your deck chair facing?'

Without hesitating, Charlie replies glumly, 'I can't even get my deck chair unfolded.'

Charlie and I are soul mates."

I have enjoyed this so much because learning to accept that my "ugliness" and awkwardness and my questions and my faulty logic and all of me that is imperfect is OKAY is just hard. I'm just at the beginning of this...the very tip of the iceberg...but when I begin to think about it, I begin to think about others differently also...and seem to give a lot more grace where I would not have before.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:18 AM, Blogger Nate said…

    God loved you while you were imperfect. You are still imperfect, and he still loves you.

    It is the doctrinal crap that tells you to be perfect. That is the lie of the law. Do this, do that. There are so many rules that you can NEVER know them all, much less do them. Then since you can't do them all, you feel like a failure. So you try harder to please, and someone says that it is not good enough. There in lies the issue. A person, tells you that you are in the wrong. So ignore people, and just listen to God.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home