Hungry For God

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

The Sinner's Prayer

Today I was at a Bible study...we just watch a Beth Moore DVD basically. There are 3 of us who typically go in the mornings...me, a girl who is a Christian, and another girl who is not sure about anything just yet. She was not raised around the church, and has no knowledge of the Bible. So, in this particular section, BM leads the ladies on screen and those watching at home to follow her - repeat after her - the sinner's prayer. I had been somewhat prepared for this. The host had mentioned that this would occur, and she was interested to see how this would be received.

We were supposed to repeat after BM OUT LOUD, even if we already have made a commitment to Christ. So, I felt peer pressure to follow along...but then I had to stop. It was the most awful feeling...the words, everything about it felt wrong. We were told that we don't have to come to Christ perfect...you know, "So many people think that they need to wait until they get cleaned up to accept Christ" type of a speech. But then, at the end of the prayer, BM said something to the extent of - if you've just said this prayer for the first time, I want to welcome you to the family of God as my new brothers and sisters, etc...

How awful that must feel for someone who is not a Christian. What an exclusive club it must seem like! Okay - so, NOW you are good enough to be my brother or sister...now that you've said this prayer. NOW you are a part of God's family - because you've said these words this way. I know that she meant that if you have truly come to believe that Jesus died for your sins...but just the way it all came across made me feel embarrassed. I felt embarrassed for the girl there who is not part of the Christian religion, but is surrounded by it and is obviously excluded from it until she decides to "accept Christ." It's like, you really DO have to come to Christ in a certain way. I was just troubled by this.

And, the whole title, the whole concept of a "sinner's prayer" sets the one praying it in a certain position of outcast already. It's as if they are a sinner, but no one else who has accepted Christ is. Now what a load. I think if I was foreign to all of this, it would have really offended me. Maybe I'm easily offended. I mean, I believe that repentence is a huge part of our faith. I believe that until we realize that we are in need of Christ's mercy and forgiveness and grace, we cannot understand the entire concept of the cross. I believe these things, but I also believe that God created each one of us as His family...and I KNOW that even after we've chosen to follow Him, we are far far from perfection. I think the whole idea of a sinner's prayer should be thrown out. I wonder what the whole "coming to faith" would look like if Jesus were to describe it...would there be a way, certain words to say...a certain posture to take?

At the end of the video, I asked the girls about how they felt about the sinner's prayer, and the girl who is not a Christian explained that she felt much like I had imagined her feeling...but the other girl responded and said that she tried not to let herself get bogged down with the legalism of it all. It made me wonder if I was being legalistic. I have so often seen and pointed out others' legalism without realizing that I am steeped in it just as much. Maybe when we are trying to get away from what we think is legalism, we just move too far in the opposite direction and it becomes legalism all over again. The word legalism is starting to sound stupid to me now. I guess I've used it too much :)!

7 Comments:

  • At 1:51 PM, Blogger One Voice of Many said…

    I can't recall exactly but I do know that the "sinners prayer" hasn't always been around. It came around during the Enlightenment, didn't it? Wonder what all those poor sinners did to get saved before someone came up with that official prayer?! ;-)

    It's just another man-made checklist for us to run down so that we can say NOW we're ok with God and each other. Rubbish, I tell ya! :-)

    Michelle

     
  • At 6:01 PM, Blogger Bar L. said…

    You are NOT being legalistic (imo). I think you are absolutley right and I remember feeling the same way as the girl in your Bible Study after I was presented with the "sinners prayer". I started feeling beat down by the Christians around me until I believed that I was going to rot in hell if I didn't say it. So basically I accpeted Christ out of fear. It took me a long time to meet him on my own within a church that continuously told me that "if you are doing this ______ (fill in blank with anything from cussing to adultery), then you must not really be saved and therefore better darn well say the prayer and mean it this time.

    I think your point is totally valid and the person that called you legalistic doesn't see that LOVE is what brings people Jesus Christ, not being told you are a sinner.

    Sorry to go on an on buy you struck a chord!

     
  • At 3:05 AM, Blogger Amy said…

    I believe the sinner's prayer is the invention of DL Moody. It's not a biblical concept. There is a confession that must take place, but I believe that will naturally happen when people encounter Christ. Should we have to coax and prod people to say a prayer in order to secure an eternal ticket to heaven? Or should we introduce people to the Son of man, Jesus Christ, and let the Holy Spirit do the rest? I vote for the latter. There's too much form and function in the Western church and not enough encounter with the One whose very presence commands a confession of who He is - King of kings and Lord of lords.

    Kari, I share in your feelings. I don't think you're being legalistic. You are being sensitive to the wooing of your sister. It's His kindness that will lead her to repentance, not a ritualistic prayer.

    Hang in there! I miss you!

     
  • At 5:21 PM, Blogger KariBryant said…

    I think I am just "checking" myself lately...I have become aware that God, in His tenderness, is causing me to see my own flaws...NOT in a way that is judgmental or condemning, but as I've journeyed this crazy road the past 2 yrs, I've gone from religion, to hating religion, to blaming everyone of being a legalist, to seeing that in my own judgement of others lies another form of legalism in itself...and He has also shown me that He is okay with this...that it's just where I am right now, and it's part of the struggle, and He is not judging me for it...almost like a new freedom. To be a "failure" at religion, and to recognize that I will never fill the bill...will never get it all checked off...but that THOSE are not things He has required of me...it's a good thing.

    So, I am not sure where the other lady was coming from, but I'm sure I have probably been close to where she is at one point, or maybe just not there yet?

    I have to say...I'm beginning to feel much more like an "outsider" in Christian circles lately. Not being openly "beat down" but definitely realizing the unmentioned disapproval. Strangely enough, it seems like the church I am going to has become the most accepting amazing REAL group of people I have been around lately, and God is absolutely suprising me with this!

    That is a whole other post altogether!

     
  • At 10:25 PM, Blogger Nate said…

    The sinner's prayer is so wrong on so many levels that it is truly amazing.

     
  • At 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    as a pastor's kid, i must have prayed "the prayer" more than 50 times. not once did it ever do anything that made me feel closer to god. closer to the organization, maybe, and the people therein. but not god.

    once, i was at a retreat, and when i went forward saying i wanted to get closer to god. the "counselor" asked if i had asked jesus into my heart. of course i said.

    the counselor didn't know what else to say.

     
  • At 5:53 PM, Anonymous KiminNC said…

    Honestly, I believe it is being 'legalistic'. The Jews had issues like that it is why God sent Christ to earth. Man had polluted God's message so much, that He knew He had to get it back to the purity and simple way He intended for it to be. Most people think everything has to be 'just so' for God to consider them good enough to come before Him. However, the reality is He is ALWAYS right there. He sees the good, the bad, the ugly, the disgusting, and the things we even hate to admit to ourselves about our own nature. It is all right there for Him even when we want it to be a secret.

    So, you didn't like The Sinner's Prayer Beth Moore did. Then you were not ready to say it and mean it. Repeating words does not cleanse you of sin. It is what is in your heart that truly saves you. God knows when we mean the words coming out of our mouths. If you have a problem with the prayer, then your real problem is you want other people to tell you it is ok for you to reject turning to God. That is between you and God. The problem isn't a prayer... it is your own heart and your need to have others condone your decision.

    I chose Jesus Christ. I chose to make Him Lord of the life He gave me. Your choice has to be your own.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home