Hungry For God

Friday, April 25, 2008

Warning. This is a bitch session.

It's been a helluva week. It started last weekend, really, when we did not find a house in Ohio...then I had the kids for 3 nights without Luke ( I was not cut out to be a single parent in ANY form), Sam got an ear infection on day 2, and Mayah has regressed a little in her potty training. So, between a screaming 6 month old who is in too much pain to lie down, a 2 yr old pooping in her big girl panties, calls from the realtor to show our house, which is a wreck, a kitty who is still sick, and no sleep for 4 days...it seems like it's all starting to pile up again. We found out yesterday that the house has termites...and it's had them since before we bought it, so either the realtor, the pest control guy (who certified that it was termite free), or the previous owner was doing something illegal to sell the house. We have recourse, but it will likely cost us more than just getting the house treated, which in itself is more than we have right now. The inspector came today, and reported that he was going to have to have a structrual engineer come to survey the house because of some cracks in the basement walls, an electrician and a plumber come out and inspect the wiring and plumbing seperately because the house is so old. Yay.

And then, there is the dreaded trip to Texas...This is what is really weighing on my mind. I wish I had a good thing to say about my family, but I don't. I can't wait to see my sister and her new baby...but the thought of having to stay at my dad's just about makes me want to throw up. Hence the previous post. I think since he's remarried (the day after I graduated from high school, which was 11 yrs ago), I have not had a pleasant visit home. This is not solely because of my stepmother...but there is just something strange going on there that I don't understand. Everyone's always on pins and needles, and any type of mess or "out of line" behavior is completely not tolerated. It's so strange. We cannot be comfortable in the house we grew up in, and we are constantly having to make sure our toddlers are not making a mess in the play room, and that they act like they really want to be around my dad and stepmother, when they feel more uncomfortable than I do. I don't know all of the details of my dad's life. My real mom didn't even know all of the details of his life...it's all a secret it seems, which is probably part of the weirdness of his marriage - who knows? I've stopped trying to figure it out. It just seems like whenever we go down, either we all pretend everything's wonderful and come home exhausted from the act, or we have a huge screaming horrible blow out! I prefer the latter myself, but it doesn't really do any good because the pretense will always be there, and then it all starts over the next trip around. My entire dad's side of the family lives in the same town, so that is why we continue to go down. My grandmother may not be alive for much longer and she has not seen Sam or my sister's baby.

I could have a skewed view, I probably do, but it's where I'm at right now. I don't know who reads this, so I'll spare them/you more details except to say that I wish I felt like he even wanted to see me or my children. I just wish I knew how to respond in a healthy way to the whole situation. I love my dad and my stepmother...but I want to be sane. I want to be real and honest and I want my kids to do the same.

And so...the stress of the move, finances, sick kids, and no sleep is starting to wear on Luke and I. I can't remember the last time we actually had fun together!

Okay...Sam is crying...poor little guy.

8 Comments:

  • At 2:11 PM, Blogger One Voice of Many said…

    Oh girl..I feel your struggle! I remember being GREAT with child with #3, #2 being 18 m old, thus still in diapers, and #1 being almost 3 yrs old regressed in his potty training efforts. One particular night, after shuffling them all home from a night at church, my 3 yr old pooped his pants. I called a girlfriend sobbing -- "I'm going to have THREE in diapers!!!!"

    All of that to say... you have my utmost support and understanding.

    My parents are divorced and my dad is not remarried. He lives about three blocks away from me yet I haven't been back to his house since I moved out, for the last time, in 1992. I haven't ever taken my children there either. Going to be around him, on pins and needles, would weigh heavily on me too.

    I don't have any words to fix your stress. But I am sorry for it on your behalf!

    Michelle

     
  • At 6:17 PM, Blogger KariBryant said…

    Oh Michelle...THANKS! 3 in diapers is more than 2 :) IT really does help to know that most other normal folks have crazy family messes also.
    I remember meeting Luke's parents and family, and waiting for the drama...but it never happened. They are the most normal family I have ever known, not that there is never drama, but it's strangely normal.

     
  • At 7:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you are not alone.

     
  • At 11:48 PM, Blogger Bar L. said…

    I hope Sam feels better soon!

    I feel for you, dreading the trip to your dad's. Sometimes its our families that are the hardest to be around.

    I hope it goes better than you anticipate (ya never know...miracles do happen!) In the meantime, hang in there!

     
  • At 11:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry I didn't know your email or where to post this, so....

    "searching for who God really is outside of all of the religious ideals and institutions."

    so what exactly are you looking for? Don't take this the wrong way because you are completely right if you think that the church has become an asylum for people who like to live as drones.

    The church should be organic in the way that it relates to people. The problem is that we try to control everything. Leadership in the church shouldn't be trying to control the people, but should give this responsibility to God. It is God's ability that keeps us in His love, not the churches.

    Church needs to be a hospital and not an institution. We need to come to a place where we can help each other without ruling each others lives. That is what I see in Jesus. That is what I believe Jesus died for. He died so we could have freedom in our relationships with people and especially with Him.

    I have some teachings that would probably really make you excited if you genuinely want to find what church and God should be all about. This guy talks about the nature of God and does nothing but teach you about who God is and what He is all about.

    send me an email if you want them. ;-)

    dustin
    dustin@edndurelife.com
    http://www.endurelife.com

     
  • At 11:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ok...I just finished reading the post....
    All I can say is...I'm sorry. I don't have any kids and I am glad for that because I don't know how I would handle all that stuff that your going through. My prayers are with you heh.

    Where in TX? I am from El Paso and Austin. Oh how I miss that place.

    dustin

     
  • At 8:23 PM, Blogger Ruth said…

    It all sounds pretty toxic but you probably make more of an impact than you know. Your authenticity cuts through the invisible poison like a knife.

    There is a very powerful scripture that you can lean upon here.

    Luke 18:27
    Jesus replied, "What is impossible with men is possible with God"

    My prayer for you is that God will expose the toxin, bringing truth into light and bring health and healing to your family.

     
  • At 5:56 AM, Blogger KariBryant said…

    Dustin, I'm from McAllen, TX. That's where I grew up anyway...lived in College Station, and Galveston also. People seem to be a lot friendlier in the midwest, but I've never lived in Austin.

    I've read and listened to A LOT on what church and God should be like. No offense...I think I'm just ready to hear what God says to me now. I grew up in the church, then got on the IHOP bandwagon, then hopped onto the NO CHURCH trail...and all seemed to be just where a bunch of other people seemed to be leading me.

    I'm glad you found my blog, and I appreciate your comments! Thanks for your prayers also :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home