Hungry For God

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Update # 2

Well...we did get an offer on our house in Nebraska, for exactly what it is listed for. So far, the buyers have had an inspection, and have not cancelled the closing, which is set for July 9. That is WONDERFUL news, because it means that we don't have to worry with the crazy updates the relo company would require with their purchase.

We are still living in a hotel in Cincinnati. The staff here knows us, knows our kids names...one girl actually calls me the "laundry lady." We have been house hunting, and we did find one that we love. We actually found 3, but 2 sold, and so we made an offer on the 3rd one. It did not end up working out though, so now we are back to square one.

Luke just got back from spending a week in MO, sandbagging and manning water pumps, etc...His employer sent him to help flood victims and mainly to protect several grain elevators from the flooding. It was a week from hell here. If you can imagine me with both kids in this hotel room! Then, Sam got an ear infection, so he did not sleep. Or, I should say WE did not sleep. Mayah is completely freaked out and tired of this situation and is letting me know in any way she possibly can, including peeing on whatever she can find. We went back to the pull ups, but since she knows how to take them off, it doesn't really matter :) Oh yes. I am THAT mom at the park. Everyone is warning their kids to stay away from the spot "that little girl just peed on." And I'm trying to figure out, while I have a baby in a stroller to boot, if I should somehow try to clean it up...with what? Wipes? Ask maintenence for a hose? But then she goes running off again, and I go chasing, so we just let it go. And...I just don't really have anything left to be consistent with discipline. I know that I need to get it together and be the mom, but it just never happens lately. I realize that I can't threaten her with staying home, because by about 10am, if we can't get out of here, we will kill each other.

After visiting every McDonald's with a play place, yesterday I decided that I will NEVER ever ever ever ever eat there again...not even the drive through. I had to tell Mayah that "donald's" is broken. She took it very well. I've gained most of my pregnancy weight back because I can't exercise and I eat french fries every day. So, if I wasn't taking zoloft, I can positively say that I would be a complete mess. Well, I am a complete mess, I think I would probably be in a mental institution.

So...THEN, (and this is for you nursing mothers out there, so men - just beware), I thought I had developed a nice case of mastitis, feeling under the weather, severe pain, strange shapes and colors. Thank goodness I had a friend to call to refer me to a doctor. They have 2 clinics, and the one with an opening was in downtown cincy, in the ghetto. So, here I go, with 2 kids, right at naptime, driving into the ghetto, to have a doctor I've never seen look at my boob. It was fantastic. Really. The doctor doesn't know what is going on, so she scheduled an ultrasound on the same day that we have Sam's first appt with his new endocrinologist (which we had to schedule 4 months in advance), and there is not another opening for the ultrasound for the next 2 weeks. The doctor said that she wanted me in in the next week, so that really freaked me out. I'm a little scared.

That is what is going on with us...we are still looking. It's tough, but Luke is home now, and things are much much better...other than being homeless.

The MOPS leader I met has become a lifesaver for me. She's had us over to play and for dinner a couple of times, and I feel I truly have a new friend. She even let me borrow her crockpot!

11 Comments:

  • At 9:06 PM, Blogger Ruth said…

    Kari it's sooooo good to hear from you. I have been praying for your family. It seems like things will soon settle down for you. You certainly haven't lost your sense of humour in all of this. And DON'T beat yourself up. You are a GREAT mom!!!

     
  • At 3:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh Kari!!!

    1. I'm so glad you posted again... I've been checking on you.

    2. How I wish you could just stay with us for a while!!! It could be crazy fun - Zoe is actually babysitter-woman these days... We'd love to have you!

    3. You're doing great! You know how I know? Cause you even mention it at all... All you can do is go with the flow... that's all it takes... trust me, I know, that's all it takes... this will be a distant memory someday soon... You have what it takes, and you will all make it...

     
  • At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    crockpot recipes up the wazoo...

    http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

     
  • At 3:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've been wondering how things were going for you for quite awhile...it's good to hear you're still alive! ;-)

    I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like to still be living in the hotel...all I can say is thank God it's summer!

    So, where's all your stuff? Is it still in Falls City? Or is it in storage somewhere?

    Well, know that you're in my prayers and I think of you often. In fact just the other night I was thinking how great it would be to hang out with you and drink a nice glass of wine. I miss you much!

     
  • At 6:26 PM, Blogger KariBryant said…

    Thanks Ruth and Patsy for your encouragment!!

    Patsy...do you think Zoe will want to babysit Mayah and Sam for the rest of the summer? ;)

    Amy - miss you! Our stuff is in storage somewhere in the Cincinnati area...don't know where. And yes, thank God it's summer! I've just resorted to drinking alone :)

     
  • At 7:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i saw an episode of "30 days" recently in which director morgan spurlock and wife tried to live on minimum wage jobs for 30 days. one of the things he did was to google "free things to do" and the name of the city they were in. perhaps this may spark something new and exciting for you guys?

    hopefully you will find a home soon. i know how emotionally challenging and draining the transitional phase is.

     
  • At 2:10 PM, Blogger KariBryant said…

    Thanks Jon - I did find out that the parks pass here is good for museums and lots of water/fun things to do. They just require patience with little ones...something I seem to be pretty short on these days. And also, there are fun concerts (family friendly) every Friday night in the neighborhood our hotel is in and it's byob. We have also gone and visited our cats a coupleof times which seems to be very entertaining for the kids. Mayah has been talking about her toys on the moving truck..remembering specifically which ones she misses the most, and she fell asleep last night talking about her purple tricycle. I know it's cheesy, but it made me cry. Probably all of the BS combined.

     
  • At 6:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    have you and luke had a chance to have a date recently, just the two of you? if not, i'll pray that you can get a moment in the madness. i know that when times are especially stressful, dates go a long way towards giving me more energy to carry on in a positive and joyful manner.

     
  • At 2:28 PM, Blogger KariBryant said…

    Date? Yeah...not a chance. We don't know anyone well enough here yet to trust them/ask them to watch our 2 kids. I've only dreamt of this lately, and it's been weighing heavily on my mind. We definitely need it. We're going on vacation next week for a family reunion, and are going to get away for a night (I hope). YOu are certainly right on the date note!

     
  • At 8:21 PM, Blogger Nate said…

    I sympathize completely. Just had the whole family in the motel for fives days while house hunting in Savannah. I know it sucks, did that for a month in Nashville when we moved there. Sucked.

    Great news on the house. We have had no luck with ours yet though.

     
  • At 3:14 PM, Blogger Delirious said…

    I used to eat at Mcdonalds until I saw the video "supersize me". Now I can't bring myself to eat there anymore. So if you find you are weak on your resolve, rent that movie. lol

     

Post a Comment

<< Home